Vintage aprons are making a comeback; many of us remember our Grandmas wearing them around the house.
The principal use of Grandma’s apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few and besides, it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons required less material!
Some other ways Grandma used her apron:
• As a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven
• Drying children’s tears (or cleaning out dirty ears!)
• Carrying eggs from the chicken coop and vegetables from the garden
• When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids
• In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees
• When unexpected company arrived, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds!
• When supper was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to eat
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that ‘old time apron’ that served so many purposes. If you’re looking to get some of the ‘old time feeling’ back, check out our great selection of vintage aprons in stock at the Old Strathcona Antique Mall; one of them may have been your Grandma’s!
Back To Articles